* The submission file should be in ODF, Microsoft Word, RTF, or HTML document file format. We would prefer that authors use endnotes rather than footnotes, as this will allow us to translate your submission more easily to HTML format.
* The submission can include supplementary files such as graphs, pictures, images, or video and audio files to be stored on IJoC server. Graphics should be in JPEG, GIF, PNG, or TIFF format. Audio segments should be in MP3, or AIFF, WAV (Windows Audio Wave) format. Video segments should be in Quicktime, MPEG, AVI (Video for Windows), or WMV (Windows Media Video) format. Other audio and video file formats may be acceptable, but please check with us to confirm their compatibility with our software and our conversion programs before uploading them.
* We encourage authors to obtain appropriate permissions to use materials originally produced by others, but do not require such permissions as long as the usage of such materials falls within the boundaries of Fair Use.
* An abstract is required for an article submission. Please be sure to include this in the submission.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
1. The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
2. The submission file is in ODF, Microsoft Word, RTF, or HTML document file format.
3. When available, the URLs to access online references are provided, including those for open access versions of the reference. The URLs are ready to click (e.g., http://pkp.sfu.ca).
4. The text is single-spaced, uses 10.5 point, Times New Roman font, employs italics rather than underlining (except with URL addresses), and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
5. The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines, which is found in About the Journal.
6. If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review) have been followed.
When you submit your work to Knowledge Ecology Studies, you hereby agree that:
1. Author’s Rights. Author retains: (i) the exclusive right to be credited as the Author; (ii) the right to reproduce, distribute, publicly perform, and publicly display the Work in any medium for any purposes; (iii) the right to prepare and distribute derivative works from the Work; and (iv) the right to authorize others to make any use of the Work, in all cases so long as the Journal is cited as the source of first publication of the Work.
For example, Author may make and distribute copies in the course of teaching, research or any other activities, may post the Work on personal or institutional web sites and in other open access digital repositories, or use the Work commercially.
2. Publisher’s Rights. Publisher obtains a royalty-free, worldwide: (i) right to publish, distribute, reproduce, display, publicly perform, prepare derivative works, edit as suitable for publication, translate to any language, and use the Work in any format digital or in print or any other medium whether now known or hereafter devised either separately or as a part of a collective work; (ii) right to receive compensation; (iii) exclusive right to receive proper attribution and citation as journal of first publication; (iv) right to include the Work in computerized archival or retrieval systems (such as SSRN, Westlaw, lexis); and (v) right to assign, sublicense or transfer to third parties any rights obtained by this agreement, provided that third party fulfils the Publisher’s obligations contained in this agreement towards the Author. In all cases these rights apply so long as the Author receives proper attribution as author.
For example, Publisher may make and distribute copies in the course of teaching, research or any other activities, may post the Work on personal or institutional web sites and in other open access digital repositories, or use the Work commercially, without the Author’s permission.
3. Public’s Rights. Knowledge Ecology Studies is a journal dedicated to the open exchange of information; therefore the Author agrees that the Work published in the Journal be made available to the public under two licenses: A Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License and a Knowledge Ecology Studies Developing Nations License.
The Knowledge Ecology Studies Developing Nations License will provide the members of the public accessing the Work from a developing country (any country not classified as high-income economy by the World Bank) with the option to obtain all the rights granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License on a commercial basis (See: http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/meet-the-licenses), as long as they implement reasonably effective mechanisms to prevent access to the Work by members of the public located in high-income economies as classified by the World Bank.
4. Moral Rights. Nothing in this agreement shall prejudice or in any way affect the moral rights that some countries recognize for authors.
5. Payment. The Author will not receive any payment from the Publisher for the use of the Work or any right obtained by this agreement. The Publisher will not receive any payment from the Author for the publication in the Journal, unless the Author has received a publication grant. In such a case, Author must disclose the grant received to the Publisher and the Publisher will be entitled to appropriate compensation as agreed between the Author and the Publisher.
6. Warranties. The Author represents and warrants that the Work has not been previously published or is being considered for publication elsewhere, that the Work is an original creation of authorship, and that the Work does not infringe upon rights of others. The Author agrees to indemnify the Publisher against any losses and other expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, after final judgment of any claim or action against any of all of these warranties.